Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

# Timex-Easy-Reader Watch Review

Timex-Easy-Reader Men Watch

Timex Men's T20461 Easy Reader Silver-Tone Expansion Band Watch


Positive Review:

> February 6, 2013
I had been looking at the Timex "Weekender" series of watches for a couple of months, debating whether to buy one at the $37 most department stores in my area seem to be wanting for them. I had a couple of reservations about the Weekender, however:

(1) The fabric band seemed thin. While good for comfort, it seemed like it might not last too long before needing replacement due to fraying or tearing. Reading reviews on Amazon later seemed to confirm this.

(2) I frequently wash my hands or have to work outdoors. In either instance, moisture from either incidental splashing or sweat would soak into the fabric band, making it prone to stink. I've had this problem with previous fabric- and leather-banded watches I've owned.

(3) The buckle, while not bulky, was likely to cause some chafing and discomfort, the same as most previous watches I've owned. I spend a good portion of my time working at a computer, and when I type or I'm otherwise sitting at my desk working on something, I tend to rest my wrists on the desktop. This has caused previous buckles to dig into my wrist and resulted in soreness and mild itching.

The Timex T20461 Easy Reader Silver-Tone Stainless Steel Expansion Band Watch has most of the features I liked about the Weekender series. It has a reasonable-sized face that doesn't look dainty on my average-sized wrist (I'm 6'3" tall and currently weigh in at about 200 lbs.) Its face is very close in size to the Weekender's, but the T20461's high-contrast black font on white background is something I actually think is an improvement over the Weekender's black font on an off-white or eggshell color background.

This is the first time I've ever given an expansion band a chance. I always thought they would pinch and pull at my arm hair, and I always worried about buying one only to find it slightly too large to stay securely on my wrist, but I'm pleasantly surprised that neither is an issue with the Easy Reader. And as a bonus, the stainless steel expansion band seems to be holding up better than the leather, fabric, and clasp-style metal bands my watches have had in the past. There is some scuffing on the bottom of the band where it has rubbed on the desk when I work, but it's only noticeable if you look very closely.

The Indiglo light is nicely integrated into the crown so the watch retains a clean aesthetic. Its day and date are pretty easy to set using the supplied instructions, though for some reason I had to turn the crown the opposite way indicated in those instructions to get the date to advance.

I've now been wearing the watch every day for two weeks, and I like it more each day. I'll update this review should anything go wrong with the watch such as water intrusion causing it to become inoperable-- it's supposed to be water resistant to 30 meters, but I've had incidental splashing from washing my hands seep in through the crown and ruin the internals on other (non-Timex, admittedly) watches in the past. Of course, the good thing about the expansion band is I can simply slide it up my wrist a bit to keep it further from the water while washing my hands, so this hopefully will be no issue.


Negative Review:

> February 8, 2013
This is a tough one to review. The watch style is great - numbers big enough for the husband to read without his glasses, nice 24-hour clock markings in red, includes date, has a light, and both the band and the watch are really nice looking. (And the husband noted that the band fit well and was really comfortable when he tried it on.) Unfortunately, the watch we received was pretty much useless as the stem (crown) was completely missing. Makes it darn hard to set when the stem is gone! Needless to say, the watch was returned to Amazon and a full refund was received, quickly and easily. Then the husband went to a local B&M store and purchased the exact same thing...but with a stem...and he's very happy. So, as you can see from other reviews, some people get lucky and have no problems, others noted the lack of quality. If you get a good one, it appears that you'll probably be happy with it so I'm going with 3 stars. Good luck!
 
Timex-Easy-Reader Men Watch

See More Review about Timex-Easy-Reader Men Watch


No comments:

Post a Comment